Sunday, February 9, 2014

What do we do?

   I normally write about my adventures with my little Rosebushes.   Yesterday my little Rosebushes planned to go spend the night with their Grammy and Pappy.  Emma had a game yesterday and her Gram, Pap, Aunt Jane, and Aunt Gill came to watch her.   She was so proud to show off her cheerleading skills.  After her game they were off to Grammy and Pappy's,  a fairy tale land where they are allowed to do whatever they want; at least that's the way Emma tells it.
    Once they were gone Fred and I looked at each other and said "What do we do now?" We haven't had a night without the kids since New Year's Eve.  After a few minutes of debate we settled on the only imaginable option for us; A NAP!  We laid on the couch together and slept for three glorious uninterrupted hours.   THREE HOURS!  In mom time that is equal to 3 days.  It was amazing.   When we woke up from our slumber we were of course hungry. Fred offered to take me to my favorite Louisville restaurant, Porcini's (made famous my Rick Pitino). We could have a nice romantic early Valentine's dinner.  That thought was really appealing and I love my husband for his attempt at romance.  I decided that I just didn't want to get dressed up.   I'd rather have a low key evening just spending time with my love.  He understood and we settled on sushi and a bottle of moscato.  I love sushi but the kids hate so it was a logical non - kid choice.  We ate amazing sushi and laughed about the fact that I cam finally use chopsticks.  As we were finishing dinner we tossed around the idea of going to the movies.  I looked up movie show times on my phone.  We finished dinner about 7:10 and most of the movies started at 7:30 making it impossible for us to make that showing.   The next possible showtime  was 8:30.  This is the discussion that followed:
Fred - "How long is the movie? "
Me - "Almost 2 hours."
Fred - "Wow that's long.  That means we wouldn't get home until 11:00."
Me - "Yeah, 11:00 is kind of late."
Fred - "We have church in the morning.  We should just go home and watch a movie on the couch."
Me - "Can we have popcorn?"
Fred - "Anything for you my love."

     For the record I do not know the two boring people that had the above conversation.   I'm not sure when Fred and I became those people.  We used to go out all the time.  We could hang out until 4 AM and get up the next day with no problems.  Is this what growing up feels like?  
     We came home from dinner got some comfy clothes on and found a movie on demand to watch.  We snuggled on the couch under a blanket watching the movie, making fun of it and making fun of each other.  We laughed a lot. I fell asleep with my head on Fred's shoulder around 10:30.  He woke me up around 11:00 to go and get ready for bed.  When I went to brush my teeth I noticed he had already prepared my toothbrush with toothpaste.   Folks, if that's not love I don't know what is.  We were in bed under the covers by 11:15.
    It was a super boring night but we were with each other.  After nearly 10 years of marriage it's good to know that we can do nothing and still enjoy each other's company.   I love that man and if we have to grow up I'm glad we're doing it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment